Happy Halloween!

As a new parent, Halloween has a become a whole new holiday to my husband and I. Truth be told, I've always been a little freaked out on this particular day in October. I don't know when that started for me. Perhaps it was when I lived with four guys in college (years ago) who thought Halloween gave them free reign to be (for lack of a better explanation) totally cray-cray. (It's a long story, one for another time.) All I know is that my dislike for All Hallows' Eve continued for years and years. I truly associated it with the day the socially weird could be the normal. And, also, the day dentists love the most, as trick-or-treating after-effects help them pay their bills. Ha! (I was truly the "Bah, Humbug" Grinch of Halloween.)

But, let me be the first to admit that I am completely wrong. Halloween was fun and quite the day, especially as it was my son's first Halloween. To see my IG roll full of awesome, creative, unique, and fun Halloween pics of families, kids, and, most especially, cute babies all dressed up, I found myself reflecting inward about how I viewed Halloween. I faintly remembered as a child being a cheerleader or a bumblebee and enjoying the collection of candies I would amass. Even my hubby reminisced about how he made himself into a baseball card with full statistics on the back side of his costume. The memories made him smile and he remembered how proud he was of himself for making it all by himself. I had realized that it's truly a day of allowing your imagination and creativity to soar, to play dress-up and be, really, whoever you want to be. There are some really creative individuals out there. Check these out:
Here's Kalei the Opihi and his family
Hubby's friends = so creative!
After a day full of Halloween posts on IG and FB, that's when I realized, "Oh shoot. My Halloween game is not strong." I quickly alerted with my husband that we had at least two or three years to get our A-game in order to dress this cutie pie up on Halloween each year. (After that, he'll be what he wants and, hopefully, it won't require fancy sewing and a lot of prep time. Ha!) 

But, seriously, I was so wrong about Halloween in the past. And, I vow to not be so "Bah Humbug" about it all. I realize there will always be the freaks and those that take Halloween to the limits. And, that's really ok. Hopefully, hubby and I get a pass this year and get a thumbs up for an effort for our lil' mummy. (Ok, ok, so it was a pajama set, but at least we had him in something!) Here's to next year and getting our creative juices flowing, we only have 364 days to go!


Comments