My Top Fives: For New Mommies


Hello new mommies & daddies! (Yup, I've decided parents who've already had their "new" experience with their babes already know what they like. For my hubby and I, we've found stuff we like/love and I'm just here to share what we know worked for us - and we realize not everybody will always agree.) I'll be doing different blog posts for different lists. So, here goes...

Top 5 for Mommies:
5) Nursing bras and a breast pads - #currentstatus I live in nursing camisoles and bras all.of.the.time. When I thought about having a baby, not once did it cross my mind that I wouldn't be wearing "normal" bras for a long time after Kai was born. Also, when people say your boobs will leak, I thought, "Haha, not me." Um, Aimee, you were totes wrong. Anyway....you get the picture.

4) Pads/Panties - We'll call these the "Down There Necessities" that I could not live without. Again, when thinking about having a baby, not once did I realize that (literally) I would be such a leaky pipe. Ok, without totally grossing out anyone, let's just say, having a baby requires many amazing things to happen and some of the resulting consequences is that you will need many, many, many pads and old lady panties. Stock up!

3) Nipple Butter - I will say, for sure, my boobs are my heroes. But during those initial weeks after having a baby, the boobs definitely had to earn their badges. My poor nips felt like a) they were going to fall off, b) they were on fi-yah when I took a shower, and c) so sore that I constantly had tears ready to burst from my eye sockets. During that time I wondered daily, "Will this misery ever end?!" I'll be honest, you think it will never end - good news is, though, it does get better. But, in the meantime, a very helpful option is Earth Mama Nipple Butter. Who knows what that stuff has, but I call it my jar of boob soothing magic. So rub it on and you will feel so much better! Promise.

2) Boob-Ease Pillows - Anything with the word "pillow" is like heaven to me. But when your boobs hurt like a mother (see above for reference), they need extra TLC. These were given to me by one of my BFFs and oh-my-gosh: HEAVEN. They can be warmed up in the microwave for a minute or left in the freezer (I did both, all the time). If my boobs could speak to these Boob-Ease pillows in those early weeks, they'd most def say, "Thank you." 

1) My Brest Friend - Let me introduce you to the most necessary product of my life as a new mama. Learning how to hold a baby and getting the baby to latch while doing this foreign term, breastfeeding, you definitely get much-needed assistance from the Brest Friend. It locks on the side and provides a firm platform for your baby and gives your arms support. I totally loved this product and rocked the Las Vegas cigarette-girl look proudly...and still do four months later!

Runners-up: 
love my fun new lemon-lime Hyrdo Flask
  • May I also suggest getting a good breast pump? My insurance covered the Medela In Style Advanced (yay!), but I was lucky enough to get the Medela Freestyle passed down from my SIL. For me, I love the Freestyle a bit more because I think it pumps a bit stronger (to my liking) and it's extremely portable (you don't have to carry around the tote/backpack). 
  • Always stay hydrated, especially when you are breastfeeding. I especially love the Hydro Flask 32 ounce and (I think) exclusively (for) now in Hawaii they have super fun neon colors. The Hydro Flask keeps water super cold for 24 hours! No joke, 24 hours! 
  • Having a cover while you breastfeed is really only necessary if you are out and about. We didn't really need to breastfeed in public until just recently - I tried to work Kai's feeding schedule around eating at home. Having a normal breast cover is great but I really like using a the Aden & Anais silky soft swaddle blanket (tie the ends around my neck - thanks to my BFF for this awesome discovery) instead. Super breathable and has a double-function. (Note: I've also used the Medahm infinity nursing scarf which I love, too. Super stylish and lightweight.)


Comments