My Top Fives: Fourth Trimester Necessities


Have you heard of the fourth trimester? Well, it's the 12-week period (of hell) after the baby is born. Ok, ok, it's not hell, it's just really...rough. Moms are adjusting to having a newborn (#teamnosleep & sore boobies!) and babies are adjusting to life outside of the womb. It's a rough transition for everyone.

Even though it's my second time around, things aren't easier (per se). But, we know things won't be this way forever so that helps us get through each day. Today's post is about our must-haves this time around for the fourth trimester. 

(I have to thank my friend, Leilani, for all the tidbits she gives me as a pro-mommy since she has three kiddies of her own.)

Top 5: Fourth Trimester Necessities

5. Ollie Swaddle - This swaddle is the ssshhhhhhh!t. Not joking, my hubby and I wonder what would life have been like with this swaddle when we had Kai, five years ago. This miraculous swaddle has heavy-duty velcro and holds her tight and snug, every. single. time. This swaddle is made up of super soft, moisture wicking fabric, opens on the bottom in case you need to do a diaper change, and is the perfect tool for transitioning your little one from womb to world. It's easy to put on (even I can do it!) and Meisa sleeps very well with the help of this swaddle.

4. Dock-a-Tot - Another superstar item that we've found super helpful is the Dock-a-Tot (DAT). I know there are similar versions such as the Snuggle Me Organic that serve the same purpose. But, I've read such great things about the DAT that I couldn't resist the splurge. And, people, it has been worth every. single. penny. What I love about it is it mimics the womb. So, even though the DAT seems small for your baby, it's supposed to be a snug fit. Some tips if you are thinking of joining me in the DAT love: (if you can,) wait for a sale to purchase, don't forget to take out the cardboard piece (haha, speaking from our experience...at first, we were like, the DAT is sooo hard😂), (if you can) buy a replacement cover for interchangeability when you encounter untimely spit ups, and keep the bag it comes in to transport it to wherever you need to go. 

3. Taking Cara Babies (TCB) - Wonder if you'll ever sleep again? Every newborn parent is exhausted and craves sleep, am I right? And nobody is ever caught saying, "Oh, I love waking up every 2-3 hours!" So...I have a possible answer for you: Taking Cara Babies! TCB has been awesome for us and helped us understand the process of training a baby on how to sleep. Here's what you do: To get yourself acquainted, follow her on Instagram and get a feel for what she is offering. I can speak from experience, I followed her my entire pregnancy and had thoughts of, "Why do I need to purchase this? I can just get what I need from her IG." Nope, nope, nope. I swear the videos are SUPER helpful and seeing her in action and explain everything is worth it! We started at about a month old and so far, so good! Meisa can now put herself to sleep for her naps - I'll do another post about our experience later. It really is amazing!

T1. Hands Free Pumping Bra - Having BOTH hands free while pumping allows for amazing productivity. Pair that with my (wonderful) cordless Spectra 1 Pump and I am mobile! It's awesome. No joke, I can pump anywhere, even the car (speaking from experience, people!). I bought mine from Amazon and use it every day, every three hours. The hands free pumping bra is awesome!

T1. My Brest Friend - True story, I have had my breastfeeding pillow for over five years. And, in fact, this was a hand-me-down from my sister-in-law so really who knows how old it is. But, My Brest Friend is a long-lasting necessity in our family. Personally, I like it much better than the Boppy because the foam inside is sturdy (and I have both). It's super helpful to have this pillow to help hold the baby up while nursing. I just love the wraparound design that clips together. You don't have to worry about the baby slipping between the pillow and your body - which was often a problem for me when I use the Boppy. Also, I have a replacement cover that is easily switched out when there is a spit-up or if breastmilk drips on it. If you are breastfeeding or thinking of breastfeeding, this is my suggestion to put on your registry!


The list does not stop there. We have a few (well, more than a few) runners up for our list. Please note these items are what worked for us, personally, so what works for us may not work for you and vice versa. Anyway, here are runner-up items:
  • Snap-Up Rompers - These Snap-Up Rompers are the bomb diggity. All you have to do is button up and down. No fussing with sliding onesies over the head or down around the baby. And they are super cute!
  • Nose Frida - Oh, the valuable nose aspirator!!! Babies need your help cleaning their noses and why not just suck it out, right? Yeah, the Nose Frida is a little weird, but it truly does the job. I pass this lovely job of sucking boogies to my hubby, which I think he secretly enjoys. But, along with a little saline solution spray, it is truly amazing what can be sucked out your precious little baby's nose!
  • Headbands/Hairbands - I am obsessed with headbands/hairbands to keep my hair up and out of the way. Especially in this summer heat, I found I was always searching for the nearest headband/hairband to keep my hair out of my face. There are so many cute options on Amazon! I love these headbands that I found on Amazon that were cute & functional. And to hold my hair up, my go-to hairbands are L. Erickson Pony Tail Holders from Nordstrom. 
  • Sassy Diaper Sacks - Many people like the doggie doodoo bags that come on the roll, which works, as well, for tossing diapers. But, our family loves the Sassy Diaper Sacks! They tie close to lock in the stinky smells and have a pleasant baby powder scent.
  • Baby Bum Brush - This is my hubby's choice for a necessity. In his words, "Who knew we needed this?! This is the best thing ever!" I read about the "butt paddle" in a FB group I follow for prospective mamas and had no clue the value of this tool. Decided when building my registry, "Why not?" I wanted to see why mamas were putting this on their must-have registry list. Low and behold, this is a pretty darn awesome tool. Clean hands and easy application, what more could you ask for?! 
Our list could go on and on, but I'll stop for now. I'd love to know what your favorites are...share, please!

Comments